Monday, March 17, 2008

Power to the People!

There's a strength training revolution coming, and I believe that the Deadlift will be at the vanguard of this movement!

If you've discussed training with me before, you know that I am a big proponent of functional(defined) and relative(discussed) strength. I learned half of what I know from one coach; Pavel Tsatsouline. The most important lesson and fortuitous turn was to discover the Deadlift and the Power to the People methods and concepts so early in my training career.

As I have moved on to new challenges in strength, I always find myself falling back on my 'big pull'. Now at 160lbs, and deadlifting about 400, when I approach a stone or tire or clean or sandbag for the first time, it's really not too intimidating. Not tooting my own horn. I want you to know that if you are not sure where to start, start with the deadlift, and try to get that sucker heavy quick! Fist is bodyweight. That should come quickly. One and half times bodyweight is a good marker, but two times bodyweight is a milestone. 2.5 times bodyweight is the current standard to join the 'Power to the People' deadlifting team (more info here) and three times bodyweight makes you a human ant. A biological crane. And in all likelihood a decent jumper, sprinter and all around worker. When you start to make gains in the deadlift, be wary of who you tell, as invitations to 'moving parties' will become much more frequent.

Don't just take our word for it. Here's an eloquent piece from Greg Glassman, founder and head Coach of Crossfit;



If you'd like to start a journey like this, I'd recommend starting here:
POWER TO THE PEOPLE
Russian Strength Training Secrets for Every American



And, Power to You, Comrade!

No comments: