Monday, November 24, 2008

Fucking Smashed

In the spirit of science, I have endeavored to try a little experiment;

restrict my total calories using ADF intermittent fasting, and perform every single one of my WODs at Crossfit Full Circle this week. That's at least 5 in a row. I am not sure about Saturday or not yet.

I have experimented with IF on and off over the last few months, but never for more than three weeks straight. Not necessarily because it couldn't be done, wasn't working or I didn't like it... just things kept coming up; school, work, family, bills... stuff.
I actually have only tried Alternate Day Fasting. I have not done the whole 'window' thing.
What I have done is to plan a diet based on the Zone and Paleo principles mostly, (loosely!), and then to consume about 25% of my load one day, and about 150% the other. The corresponding average leaves a mild deficit, usually made up for on Sunday, the pretty much anything goes day.

This time around, I have gone two weeks on this pattern, in this case consuming a little more than before;
Fast= 6 blocks, with 6 extra blocks of fat
Eating= 30 blocks, with 10 extra blocks of fat
MWF= Fast
TRS= Eating
Sunday= Jason EAT!

So far, I have kept to fasts ok, with one 3 block sandwhich snafoo once. On eat days I have yet to eat all 30 blocks, but I always get my fat in.

I don't have any numbers body comp wise, but I may have lost 1 pound maybe. I am tiny bit leaner.

Here's the fun;
A lot of people wonder about IF and performance, namely how does low intake affect anaerobic energy production. After all, if you're blood glucose gets low, you can't sprint right?

...

Obviously no one asking these questions reads the clinical stuff about insulin sensitivity or neurological adaptations. Nor do they have a really good understanding of metabolic or exercise physiology. That's ok. Few do it seems.

Let's go with a concrete example from my experiment.

Jason Struck
29 years old
154 lbs
Max Snatch 135lbs
Max Overhead Squat 165lbs x 4 reps

Today's WOD at Full Circle

Here's how I did...

Snatch Balance 135lbsx3 (PR)
Snatch 125lbsx3 (PR)
OHS 175lbsx3 (PR)

Then I did 150 KB Swings with 20kgs in 5:51

My forearms are tired.

I feel great.

1 comment:

Melissa Urban said...

I (heart) IF. I've been doing it for about 6 months now. My energy levels are totally consistent and my workouts just keep getting better. I pulled my last DL PR on hour 16 of a 17 hour fast. Can't wait to see how your week turns out.